Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Pushing Your Game to Your Phone (Programming)

Earlier this month I wrote about how easy it was to create a Firefox OS program at http://firefoxosgaming.blogspot.com/2013/10/firefox-os-easier-than-before.html.

I should have added another step, which is also very easy. Putting your app on your phone.

Here are the steps.

  1. Write your app.
  2. Connect your phone to your PC with a cable.
  3. Fire up your Firefox OS Simulator.
  4. Make sure your phone allows remote debugging*.
  5. If all is well, the simulator should say Device Connected.
  6. Click on the Push button.
  7. That should do it.
You should see your app icon on one of the screens that shows which apps are loaded.

HOWEVER, if you have a ZTE Open phone (or maybe something else early), you may need to reboot before you see the icon. I'm sure this will be fixed and this isn't a problem if you are downloading apps from the Firefox Marketplace.

Here's my beautiful app sitting next to other (better) apps:





My app is the light blue at the lower left that is titled "Hello FFOS" and has the word "Hello!" written on the icon. Pretty cool, huh?

Soon, maybe, an app that I can push to the Marketplace. But first I need to build one and you can watch me (and tell me I'm doing it wrong).


No comments:

Post a Comment