Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Age of Barbarians (Game Review)

This game was a pleasant surprise for me. I had played a tower defense game a few years ago and didn't like it that much. Well, things are different for me and I'm more interested in games that aren't World of Warcraft (ha ha).

Age of Barbarians is a nice, well-done tower defense game that works. At first it was easy to play except I kept not doing so well, and then I tried again and got hooked after a few plays.

The goal of the game is to defend your village from barbarians (the cool guys with horns on their helmets). You have arrows and cannons and they have lots of barbarians (and some of them are on horses). Oh, and you have a spellbook, which makes it more interesting.


The directions were pretty good, and given in three parts:


Place buildings to protect your village. Here is where the strategy comes in, and  the "just one more go" takes place and you try to figure out what to do. I put my towers near my home village and failed. You want to spread them out!


You have a path that the barbarians will travel on, and you build towers at certain spots along the way, using wood, stone, and other stuff. You can upgrade or make towers. Each time you survive a wave of barbarians, you get more building materials, so you can fight off larger waves.


But just to make the game more interesting, you get a spell book that can make the game more complicated. For example, you can get a spell that can make the invaders slow down. Click on the spellbook, click on the spell, click on the invading group, and they slow down! This adds more fun and I like it.

Here's an example, in the third village I'm defending. I have a main hut on the left edge, three smaller huts filled with archers, and three invaders who are about to be cut to pieces on the upper right corner. 


The spellbook is on the lower right, the scores for how well you are doing is on the upper right, and if you hit the pause button at the top right, you can choose to replay, quit, or try a different village if you've unlocked it.

The game seems very well balanced and well thought out. The developers, Double Duck, have been around a year, but have created 40 games and prototypes, 100,000 lines of code, and shipped 26 games! Visit them at http://www.doubleduck.co/  They have released 5 games for Firefox OS and I'll be looking forward to the rest of their products. I think this is a perfect game and is the kind of game I want to see more of on Firefox OS: good game play, variety, helpful instructions, nice art!

According to their web site, they produced this game using Haxe, an open-source multi-platform game language (http://haxe.org/) and also CreateJS, both of which look very interesting and are impressive for producing a lot of games in a hurry! For now, myself, I'm most interested in playing games on Firefox OS and making games from scratch, but I know that many people are using all kinds of cool tools!

Cost: Free
Genre: Tower Defense
Score: 5 (out of 5)
Tested on: ZTE Open (Firefox OS)
Get it at: Firefox Marketplace

No comments:

Post a Comment